Search This Blog

Visits


View My Stats

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Glass Casket

My friend Josh reminded me of this story... When I was in a freshman in high school before I got my license my friend Randy would pick me up and we'd go out and do stuff.  Every once in a while we would stop by his house so he could check in with his parents or whatever.  The first time we did this he stopped beside this little old house on the side of the road on the way back out.  He would just tell me he was "going in to see his grandma real quick" and told me to just wait in the car.  Sure enough it was only a couple minutes and then he was back out.  I didn't think anything of it the first couple of times but after the 4th or 5th time I guess I started to find it a little odd.

One night when I was at home I asked my brother if he noticed how Randy always had to run into his Grandma's house every time he left his house.  My brother (who is older than I am) proceeds to tell me that Randy's grandmother passed away a few years back and that his family decided to keep her preserved in a glass casket inside her old house.  He said they would always stop in to sit by the glass casket and pay their respects.  Ahhh, this would explain why he was only in a few minutes at a time and always made me wait in the car... kinda creepy sure... but it makes sense.  AT LEAST a few months goes by before I finally work out the best way to ask Randy why they would keep their Grandma in a glass casket.  Was it just to look at her?  Was it a family tradition? Are y'all just really creepy or something?  He just stares at me for a few seconds and explodes laughing at me because the look on my face was dead serious.  He asked where I heard that from and when I told him it was my brother he says, "What are you an 'effin retard or something?! She's still alive you moron!  Who puts their grandma in a glass casket??"  He said he was just stopping in there to say hello or because she would give him a little bit of spending cash.  That's what big brothers are for I guess... I still get joked on for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment